HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) is a compliance which is mandatory for every health organisation that handles and provides the data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information. HIPAA regulates the availability and procedure of group health plans and certain individual health insurance policies documents. It establishes policies and procedures for maintaining the privacy and security of individually identifiable health information in the organization. The HIPAA Privacy regulations require health care providers and organizations as well as their business associates, develop and follow procedures that ensure the confidentiality and security of protected health information.
Requirements for HIPAA Privacy Laws
Perhaps the most difficult aspects of HIPAA are the ones related to technology. Why are they so complicated? For starters, medical personnel aren’t experts in computer science. When you’re unfamiliar with IT, it can be tough to understand software and security requirements.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to make sure your technology is HIPAA compliant:
- Encrypt files you send via email or upload onto a cloud.
- Protect your network from outside attacks (hackers, malware, etc.) using security software and encryption.
- Protect your data from accidental deletions and changes.
- Authenticate data transfers to another party by requiring a password, two or three-way handshake, token, or callback.
- Prevent mistakes in data entry by using double-keying, check sum, and other redundancy techniques.
- Keep up-to-date documentation of technology and network configurations and HIPAA practices.
Violations of HIPAA compliance warrants penalty by state upto $1.5million. The HIPAA requirement involves more of the infrastructure processing and therefore, it contains various networks enabled in different locations, connected with respective health data protected organizations with a different approach for ensuring the security prospects.
At UniSec Inteli, we follow the below practices to benefit our clients:
- We provide HIPAA Regulatory Compliance Consulting.
- Privacy and Data breach notification, remediation and management is provided.
- Risk Assessment is done for the organization.
- As per the HIPAA laws, we perform Vulnerability assessment such as Internal and External ASV scannings, according to the HIPAA requirements.
- Performing Gap analysis to check the breaches and the non-compliant requirements to provide the solution.
- Reviewing the procedures and policies documents and providing suitable solutions based on the security requirements.
- Performing a Complete Risk Analysis to check the breaches and the non-compliant requirements to provide the solution.
- We also provide cutting edge HIPAA services to cover the entities which include Providers and Business Associates of providers.